KawiSaf i Ventures is a leading climate fund manager based out of Nairobi, Kenya supporting low carbon technologies that meet the essential needs of rapidly growing African markets.
We invest equity and quasi-equity in late venture / early growth stage companies tackling the climate crisis with innovations in energy transition, green productivity, mobility & logistics,
carbon and natural climate solutions. Launched in 2017 and backed by a committed group of international LPs, our first fund KawiSafi I was focused on distributed renewable energy and has to date impacted 120 million lives with clean energy and reduced 30 million tonnes of CO2e.
Our second fund KawiSafi II invests across the low-carbon economy in Africa in companies that have the potential to reduce GHG emissions on the continent and help communities adapt to a changing climate. KawiSafi has built a market-leading portfolio of investments
already and aims to grow quickly over the next few years. We are active hands-on portfolio
managers and look for value creation opportunities throughout the investment cycle. KawiSafi has been recognized by ImpactAssets as one of the Top 50 Impact Managers in the world.
We are now recruiting an Investment Associate to join our investment team based in Nairobi, Kenya. This is a unique opportunity to join an international team and help build a world-class organization with an audacious, globally significant impact.
The Investment Associate will work as a core team-member to execute and realize the commercial and impact objectives of the fund and advise on formulation of investment objectives for investee companies. She/he will participate in transaction functions and portfolio management activities, function as an integral part of a close-knit team of
investment professionals, take the lead in financial modelling and industry research, play a key role in the underlying analysis of investment decisions, and assist senior colleagues in
structuring and negotiating prospective investments in target companies. Key responsibilities will include:
Research and pipeline:
· Contributing to sub-sector strategies, gathering and synthesizing market information, and conducting industry analysis.
· Conducting initial assessments of prospective investments, meeting with entrepreneurs, and reviewing pitch materials.
Due diligence and deal execution:
· Undertaking due diligence on target companies, including market/competitive analysis, meetings with management teams, site visits/customer interviews, and analysis of company data.
· Coordinating diligence requests to / responses from target companies’ management teams and reviewing data uploaded to the transaction data room.
· Reviewing/building financial models and conducting analysis and stress tests.
· Preparing investments memos for presentation to the Fund’s investment committee.
· Liaising with the Fund’s legal and ESG advisors to prepare supporting investment documentation required to complete transactions.
· Playing supporting role in monitoring the Fund’s portfolio of investees.
· Reviewing investee reports and board packs.
· Monitoring actual performance against budgeted, compliance with covenants, and performance thresholds / flag analysis.
· Coordinating quarterly data requests to investees and analyzing data gathered.
· Updating the Fund’s portfolio management systems as required.
Your Experience and Skills:
We are seeking a qualified professional who possesses the following:
· University degree in finance, economics, engineering, or other relevant degree.
· 3-5 years’ experience working within a fund, corporate finance advisory, investment bank, management consulting, or other relevant work such as experience as an operator in clean technology start-ups.
· Understanding of and ability to analyze company financial statements.
· Excellent financial modelling and Excel skills, with experience in valuing private companies.
· Excellent business communication and presentation skills.
· Ability to work on multiple projects while working to deadlines and managing time effectively.
· Ability and interest to work in a small team and a flexible and “hands on” approach.
· Demonstrated interest in climate change related trends and technologies/business models which address climate change is preferred.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively encourage a diverse workplace. Interested applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Monday 30th October 2023.